This is a small Low Temperature
Differential engine I made years ago.
It's admittedly not very pretty. I just wanted to make one to see
it run, since
I'd never seen one except in pictures, but I found plans for one on the
scaled this one down from those plans to fit the lathe. It was
hard to come up
with the materials the plans called for, so in place of the type of
for the large displacer, I used foam board, (the kind used for mounting
which is a little heavy for the purpose. There
was no graphite to be found anywhere near where I live, either, so I
type of plastic for the power piston. Nylon, UHMW, or what else,
I don't know,
but it machined nice. The clear cylinder wall is from a large
glass I picked up at the grocery store.
So, I didn't use the right materials. The silly thing still runs,
although it needs
to start cold and will only run about five minutes at a stretch.
Then the plastic
power piston starts dragging in its' cylinder and the engine
stops. Let it cool
and it will run again. It's not as interesting as watching a
steam engine run. At
least not for me.
This is the only one I ever made.
More Taig lathe projects
Copyright Dean Williams